Tuesday, April 12, 2011

School Lunches

   I may not be the most qualified to have opinions on this subject since I currently do not have children. However I do remember what it was like to be in school and to eat school lunches. Today as I was browsing the  internet I came across an article at The Chicago Tribune about a school in Chicago banning kids from bringing their lunch from home.  


 Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.  "Nutrition wise, it is better for the children to eat at the school," Carmona said. "It's about the nutrition and the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom). It's milk versus a Coke. 


    This comment I found to be slightly odd.  Especially the implication that a student would bring  a soda from home but at school they will be drinking milk. I never brought soda from home when I took my lunch to school. I also know a lot of parents and read a lot of mothers blogs who also would not be packing soda or other unhealthy foods in their kids lunches.  Also I feel that just because the milk is at the school for lunch doesn't mean the kids are drinking it. 


     Another part of the article lists the price for lunches if  the child does not qualify for reduced or free lunches and it was a little over $2.00 a lunch. I feel like that is a little unfair because there are also a lot of parents I know who can send their kids to school with a lunch valued below $2.00 a meal. Why pay more for the same quality of food I could send from home? I am not against some regulations on what children can bring to school but at some point I still feel like it is  a parents choice to send their child to school with a lunch you know they will eat and that you made for them.  If you want to pay the school for your kids food that should also be your choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment